For years I have used TeraTerm as my serial terminal window.
Teraterm has some nice features:
Automatic reconnect - when USB serial port is unplugged teraterm disconnects, when it is plugged back in it automatically reconnects.
Color - using escape sequences you can change the color of text.
However teraterm has had a nasty problem, after some period of time it starts displaying junk.
For years I have cursed when this happens but have never found a better serial terminal program. So I decided I would have to either fix it or code my own. So I started reviewing teraterm's code. As I reviewed the source code I found that it appears an escape sequence is found in the serial port data which is changing the character set. As I read the code I found that the TERATERM.INI had settings to control this.
; Enabled ISO-2022 Shift Function (on/off/combination of SI,SO,LS2,LS3,LSR1,LSR2,LSR3,SS2,SS3)
By turning the ISO 2022 this problem went away!
Note I might still code up my own terminal some day as that I few other things I would like including
Hexadecimal mode. Additionally I have found teraterm consumes large amounts of CPU resources.